Saturday, August 20, 2005

Spirits.....

First off, sorry Pete. I’ve only been awake for an hour so I’ve missed your wedding night time do…. Was looking forward to that…. Bugger…… I promise to come to the next one ;-)

Last night was my return to JB’s in Dudley to see the Wonder Stuff. Normally a very enlightening experience and full to the brim with alcohol, good company and spirit lifting music…… and I wasn’t disappointed (much).

After a pain-in-the-arse drive up the M25 and then M40 we arrived at the Station Hotel.. I’ve stayed there a few times now but not because of its luxurious rooms or service to its customers. It’s within hockleing distance from JB’s and you tend to find it full of Stuffies and after gig parties.

But this time would be different; I managed to get Room 214 which is well known for its unpaying resident ghost who apparently is “waiting for someone”…(the un-named ghost didn’t stay un-named for long, The Hudd christened (sic) him “Eric”). Did our vigil reveal any paranormal activities? Well, sort of… Look here!

We took a few hours to freshen up with several glasses of vodka & coke then went down to the restaurant bar to see who was there. The old reliables were out in force with a few surprises. A few hello’s to Miles, Russ, Jenny, Ian and one or two new faces and we sat down to swill more vodka…..

Some people leave an indelible impression on your very being, and The Ditch Pig is one of them. I thought she’d been processed by Walls years ago but a friendly tap on the shoulder revealed that she was still with us without much changing. Oh well, never mind then.

At this point The Hudd was looking a tad intoxicated, nothing unusual there but I had my doubts if she’d make it to the main event….. it was only 8pm afterall!

I do love JB’s, it’s a well designed gaff considering it’s in Dudley. Plenty of bar space and bar staff and three raised sections of floor means you always get a decent view of the band.

Just after 9 and TWS are on and I was making my way out of the venue….. I’ve never really attempted a fireman’s lift before, but it seemed the best way to get The Hudd out of the building and across the duel carriageway. I wrestled The Hudd into her bed, made sure she had some water and got back to JB’s within 10 mins to join in with the ambience… besides, Eric would look after her

And what a corker of a gig it was…. Unfortunately, I missed the aftershow party (if there was one). Drunk, I went to check on The Hudd, I remember making sure she was breathing then the next thing I know it’s four o’clock in the morning…. Cak!





PS: There's some right bastards around in Dudley, look what someone did to Tom's car...

3 comments:

petercmoore said...

You're forgiven, yer bastard. But only 'cos everyone else turned up!

Glad you had a good time watching TWS. Say hello to Miles for me...

meljoy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
meljoy said...

Awww! I love how you type! It's great and all-English like! I love it! You rock...

-mel