Tuesday, September 27, 2005

There's a cow bell in there somewhere......

I had an e-mail this morning, from my Brother from another Mother (Goober). It's a trip down memory lane, which can be found just south west of Amnesia Avenue if you need a point of reference

With his kind permission, I've published it below.


Minor Threat: January 1982 – September 1982

Vocals/Guitar - Alan Hunter
Lead Guitar – Stephen Forsyth
Bass – Goober
Drums – Dave Dawson

Minor Threat: Easington Collieries answer to Stiff Little Fingers, average age of the band was 14, four young lads from a mining town in the north east of England. Too young to play or rehearse in pubs and drinking places, they ended up going to the local vicar and asking to use the church hall, he couldn’t help them there so invited them to use his living room. After six weeks he lost patience with the noise, F words, broken furniture and hangers-on the band were attracting. He did however get them a back room of a rough pub called The Black Diamond; this was the nucleus for many future line ups.

Wasted Life / Stiff Little Fingers
So What / Anti Nowhere League
We Will Fuck You / The Exploited
I’m an Upstart / Angelic Upstarts
Tin Soldiers / Stiff Little Fingers
Streets of London / Anti Nowhere League
Woman / Anti Nowhere League

State Of Emergency: September 1982 – March 1983

Vocals – Alan Crawford
Guitar – Alan Hunter
Bass – Goober
Drums – John Crawford

State Of Emergency was created of two local punk bands Alan Hunter and Goober from Minor Threat and Alan and John Crawford from The Condemned, Alan and John were twins with the same tastes in punk rock. Alan and John were 18 while Alan and Goober were 15; this was there first band the pair had played gigs with and their first taste of actually writing and playing original material. I remember it was such a relief if we were trying to book a venue we would wait in the car while the older lads made the arrangements. My confidence grew in this band, I was always a shy young lad and suddenly I was looked upon as a one of the lads.

Men of Action
The Gig
I Can See Through You
Just Don’t Care
Do What They Say
State Of Emergency
D.I.Y

Executed Designs: April 1983 – December 1983

Vocals / Guitar – Stephen Forsyth Steve Forsyth, Goober, Dave Dawson
Vocals / Bass – Goober
Drums – Dave Dawson
Guest Guitar Richard Wharton (June – August)

After I left State Of Emergency in March I hooked up with the two lads (Dave and Steve) that had started the ball rolling in the first place. The only shock was these two kids had become really good and tight. I remember leaving the first rehearsal and thinking feck me if we do a gig with State Of Emergency we’ll wipe the floor with them. We went on to create some great songs that none of us will forget, and had a few good minutes of local fame. One friend called us The Young Toy Dolls; this was a great compliment for the band and began a whole new chapter in my life. I was finally playing the music I had dreamed about and was adding my own personality to it. No longer embarrassed about what others were thinking I knew we were good and started to enjoy the praise given by others.

Suicide Town
Action Man
You’re Life in My Hands
Without You
Victims of the Plague
Another World
Pollution
Black Sunday
Plastic Girl
Green as Grass

The Original State: January 1984 – May 1988

Vocals / Bass – Goober
Vocals / Guitar – Stephen Forsyth (1984 – 1986)
Guitar – Simon Wood (1986 – 1988)
Guitar – Alan Hunter (1984 – 1985)
Drums – Dave Dawson
Keys / Backing Vocals – Barry Hill (1987-1988)

The name says it all, the original line up for State Of Emergency, now mature and full of ideas and energy. Three song writers all fighting to take control, all working together as a unit my god it was no picnic. In 1985 Alan lost interest in the band because of its musical direction, you could see his heart just wasn’t in it any more.
The band narrowed to a three piece and became one of the best bands I have personally had pleasure playing with. In 1986 Steve left the band to play in a cover band called Picture Box; he was replaced by now friend of the band Simon Wood. Later that year they introduced keyboard player Barry Hill and finally had backing vocals once more. With this line up the band took on a U2 type sound and a more commercial value, Goober became full time songwriter and things went smooth for a while.

Picture in a Magazine
Blue Tears
Sunset at Dawn
Falling Angel
By The Way
Love at Third Sight
Another World
Once In a Lifetime Chance
If Only it was Love
One Day
Fools Gold
Without You
Stating the Truth
Memories of the Night Before
Black Sunday
A Day Away
Going Nowhere

Just Us: June 1989 – March 1991

Acoustic Guitar / Vocals – Dom Richardson
Vocals – Peter Hammond (1989 – 1990)
Bass / Backing Vocals – Goober
Lead Guitar – Ian Coburn (1990 – 1991)
Drums – Dave Dawson (1989 – 1990)
Drums – Paul Cairns (1990 – 1991)

A new beginning and a new chapter Just Us, after a year of not being in a band Dave and I joined up with two local musicians, both songwriters and both defined in their own right. I have never lived in anyone’s pockets as much as I did with this band; with countless rehearsals and jam sessions we never seamed to be ready or together for that matter. Not happy with the Delamitri sound I moved on in 1991 and the band split shortly after.

Living In a Mining Town
Emily
In The Poppy Fields
Candy
She’s Number One
Paranoid Alarms
Country Boy
Nursery Rhymes
Older Woman’s Experience
Love at Third Sight
No Time No Place

Combinat: June1991 – November 1992

Vocals – Ian O’Brien
Lead Guitar – John Mowbray
Rhythm Guitar – Arthur Harriman
Bass – Goober
Drums – Tom Branigan

My Final attempt at being a bass player in a band, this band (Combinat) had not only backing from a record label; it even had an independent song writer Trevor Whittaker.
Spotted as I played in Just Us, Trevor asked me to come along to a rehearsal; we soon became friends and enjoyed each others company. Being in Combinat was like being a member of The Damned, it was real fun, every one in the band worked together, laughed together and when you were having an off day people were there to lift you. Playing live was a dream come true and sometimes the journey to and from gigs was as thrilling as playing.

I Don’t Need You
Temple Town
The Calling
Part of the People
Love Vision
Don’t Be a Stranger

Goober: January 1999 – December 2001

Acoustic Guitar / Vocals – Goober
Acoustic Guitar / Vocals – Keith Small (May 1999 – December 2001)

During my seven years away from the music scene I never really gave up the song writing, I would only write a song every couple of months, but family life and work had made the music side of me take a back seat. That was until the summer of 1998 when drummer and best friend Dave Dawson invited me to a Miles Hunt gig at Ronnie Scott’s in Birmingham. I watched with open mouth as Miles and Malc strutted their stuff and made two acoustic guitars sound like a full band, the next morning over breakfast I knew what Dave was about to say. Sure enough he asked if I had any new material and when I gave him the answer he set the wheels in motion. A recording Studio in Epsom was booked for the January and I had plenty of time to iron out the creases, an attempt to get our long time friend Simon Wood was tried but to no avail.
Eventually I did it solo, the result an eight track cd called “never loved bingo” a while after its release a work friend became very interested in my songs (Keith Small) after a few jam sessions we decided to work as a duo. Keith would appear at one gig and then I’d be solo the next, I enjoyed my time working with Keith, we had some great fun and ideas together. In late 2001 Keith decided to pursue a career in cad cam engineering, I eventually lost my faith in the music business. It seams it’s you look like, not what you sound like, these days and I have no chance if that’s the rules. I now work for a vehicle movement company, and live a happy family life. I can still remember the good and bad times as my songs always expressed, so thanks for the memories Goober.

The Truth
Painted Smile
Footsteps
Time, Space, Interface
Pain on the Inside
Celebrate Tonight
You Are Wonderful
Ten Years and Me
Hindsight
Déjà vu
The Brother You Never Had
Lying In Need
Memories With Affection
What’s Your Name Today?
Begin Again
Believe me
Self
Also Ran
Chances Are
Rant and Rhyme
Seeing Stars
Need To Know
Hand On Heart
Vicious Circle
29th Of Never
Someone To Hold
Writing On The Wall
Catch 42
When I Call Your Name
The Haunting Of Another man
Been Here Before






2 comments:

meljoy said...

HAAAAAAAAHAAAAAA!!! I could be white and middle class, haha!! In America, that's what everyone wants!!! I would love to be middle class! Not necessairly white though, sorry, just not my cup of tea. They are so bland here. If I was a European white type, that would be nice, but all white people here are the same. No culture whatsoever. Except some of the Irish few, but most of the are trickled down Irish (you know the type, their greatgandfather was Irish, but their grandmother was just plain old white, then there parents were just plain old white, and somehow they are still Irish). I am quite happy being Native American. At least I can say we didn't murder anyone in cold blood and steal their land for profits and shove anyone onto reservations and keep them away from the rest of corporate america...Yea, I think that was the white people...

petercmoore said...

He's thin! He's got hair! He leaps buildings with a single bound! Iiiiiit's... Goober!

Fantastic stuff!