Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Positive Thinking

Christmas.

As a kid, Xmas was THE most important time, and looking back through all the Xmas's I've experienced those early years were magical.

Parents that lived together, 3 siblings all with the same mother/father and all fairly happy being there......... Who'd of thought those things would become a coverted item?

I don't really think I ever believed in Santa when young. Even as a kid I'd insist on hard evidence when talk revolved around Santa, his elf helpers or even the tooth fairy...... a passport, utility bill from the last 3 months or perhaps an elf/fairy body from a recent accident would have helped.

I also remember how fantastic TV was back then, OK, maybe the tinted specs have affected my judgment but no-one can deny the thrill and anticipation of the Morcambe and Wise Christmas Shows in the 70's.
It's a very British thing, Americans have Apple Pie, but we have the Morcambe and Wise shows, watched by over half the entire population of Great Britain their show defined how good Xmas would be.

It's never been the same since.

Anyhow, here's a clip that you don't see much these days, it's a corker and really does make you smile.



5 comments:

petercmoore said...

Genius!

Here's some more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFgWonKx3U8
"You're not the only one who reads The Dandy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bseNli-eVMQ
"Not too heavy on the banjos"

petercmoore said...

Eric, Ernie and Cliff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C7L50ka-eY

chux said...

wonderful!

you are right that did make me smile! It was the spazzo dance they did half way through!

I do remember Xmas telly being special, and you'd have quality show after quality show on the 2 main channels!

Weird with so much choice and hundreds of channels today, there desnt seem much on this Xmas holiday.

Just not the same....I can see that

Anonymous said...

I can remember Ronnie buying the TV times (ITV)and the Radio times (BBC) and getting very excited, now we have too much choice, were spoiled, harder to please not just with TV everything.....Clip is a classic Goober.....

Anonymous said...

Ah the seventies...we had Rowan and Martin here in the states. We're polar opposites you and I, I still believe in Santa!