Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Thank you.....

Ok, I'm writing this from my hospital bed, morph'ed up to the eye balls 'cos the Physio wanted me to play hopscotch....

No not really, just standing is enough right now.

I'm no longer tethered to a couple of Tesco's carrier bags and tubing draining what seems to be a rainbow of coloured liquids from me. The catheter was hardly noticeable when it was removed, but when they pulled the drains outta my leg I swung for the nurse...... at lest I would of if I wasn’t screaming uncontrollably and biting my way through several sheets and a mattress.

But that’s all over with now, I just have to concentrate on learning to walk again.... The physio is thorough, which matches my determination to get the new hip working again.... but it does take its toll. Just standing takes every bit of strength I have, at the same time I'm trying to block the pain and not think about the prosthetic sheering off (it can happen) and leaving me with shards of bone sticking through my thigh.

I know that’s all sounds rather depressing, but the nurses here a lords and are quite happy putting up with my rather different approach to healthcare...... or anything really.

I have to say a very large thanks to Pooch and John for keeping me entertained and supplied with bits and pieces..... Emily came in yesterday to see me, although you could see she wasn’t too happy seeing me like this, but it made a colossal difference to my mood.. So, thanks to Gary for driving both Sue and my little fruitloop in to see me, very much appreciated.

and a massive thank you to all the people leaving messages on this blog, sending txts and phoning me, sometimes I forget there are genuine people out there who care.

I think I'm ready to zonk out again, physio is back in a few hours to point and laugh......

Oh well never mind then.

9 comments:

chux said...

you could never do this from an NHS bed!

Congrats on finally getting the job done mate. It's onwards and upwards now. (hold on IBM's theme song is 'Ever Onwards' - how inspiring)

Good thoughts coming your way. I have blogged about you today too.

All the best - see you at the weekend.

jomoore said...

I've been thinking of you Dave, so am glad you've been able to post to let us know how it's going.

With your determination I'm sure you'll be up and playing the violin again in no time...

Unknown said...

Congratulations on finally getting the operation done. I'm glad to hear that it's gone well. I hope you are swiftly on the road to recovery, and endless hours of gaming.

All the best,
Mark

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the procedure went as planned... the physio certainly doesn't sound like much fun, but hang in there man. You'll be off your arse in no time. :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm just considering the implications of a rather large Dawson being able to perambulate at great speed on a new bionic hip......could be like high street skittles.

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear it went okay, you've still got your sense of humour and they're giving you bodacious drugs. I'm gringing in sympathy about your physio. Keep getting better!

chux said...

No offense intended on my post mate - its a typical english reaction to a difficult situation that we try to make it funny.

Glad you thought it was humorous.

All comments i've had to date tell me there's a lot more people that care about you than maybe you realised.

All the best my hairy faced marra!

Chris said...

Glad it's all over for you, Dave, and sure you'll soon be totally mobile under your own steam. Where are you, by the way? Are you in Chertsey? If you are, Ottershaw isn't far away and I'm sure those lovely nurses would help you hobble along to see the show tonight. The walk along the Guildford Road would do you no end of good!

Anonymous said...

Hippy Birthday Dave .....Goober!
See what I did there 2 for the price of 1.