Thursday, November 22, 2007

Xylophones

"it's a me, Mario"

Super Mario Galaxy on the Nintendo Wii.....



Ok, I'm 40 and feel that an interest in video games maybe something I should keep quiet. It feels like I should be more concerned with appropriate activities a 40 year old would be into... maybe Fly Fishing, smoking a pipe or even violently slapping the wife.


But I never really got over the excitement of playing Combat on the original Atari VCS or the absolute thrill of Williams Defender in the arcades.


As I don't put up with the constant tedium of enforced companionship and its myriad of costly and frequent demands on interior decorating, expensive foreign holidays and soft furnishings I can spend a little of my own money on things I want.......



Just as well I'm an ugly fat bastard then, how obnoxiously annoying would it be if I were also devilishly hansom? Swings and roundabouts.


All this just to tell you Nintendo's long awaited Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii is magnificent. It really is a killer app. No wonder the Wii is still in short supply nearly a year after its launch.


Talking of Fly Fishing and pipe smoking, both of which I'd very much like to try (slapping the wife was never my thing, but what the hell, if she needs a slap gimme a ring), I've also got a want for a monicle. Sir Patrick Moore is officially now the ONLY living man to wear a monicle. If we're not careful, we could loose this ancient and slightly eccentric visual enhancement apparatus forever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave I dont think age has anything to do with it, you enjoy yourself, thats whats wrong with this country, everyone is paranoid about what people are saying about them (so they care) and then they wont let anyone out at a road junction (so they dont care) Whats it all about, Dont ask me.....

chux said...

Mario Galaxy is ace its true - i'm going nuts playing it atm!!

Not interested in the wife beating too, i find being apathetic and non commital greater torture for any woman!! (sshh dont tell her tho)

Cromely said...

Mario Galaxy is well worth it.

There's nothing wrong with video games at 40. Our generation is the first to really grow up with them. The industry hasn't been around long enough for there to be an appropriate time to "age out" of it.

The teens and college kids will still be better at these games than we are because of that whole not having to pay for food and rent/mortgage thing.

And I think you can even take up fly fishing on your Wii.