Wednesday, November 15, 2006

@rse over tit....

I could of fallen off the bike, oh yes.... tight left hander, magnesium knee sliders spraying a shower of sparks into the air as the lean angle allows me to almost touch the hot tarmac.... As I concentrate my attention into the far distance I don't notice the smallest of diesel spills which has exactly the same dimensions as the credit card sized contact patch my front Avon uses to hold over 300lbs of racing machine (and human) to the road surface.. Within a fraction of a second the bike has low-sided and I'm sent spinning across the road, across on-coming traffic and into a variety of road furniture............

It could of been like that.....

but it wasn't.

I actually fell UP the stairs at work. Arse over tit. Latte in one hand, bacon and sausage bap in the other. The first thing to touch mother earth was my right knee cap, it slammed into the metal edge cover and then had the best part of 17 stones of pure British lard jack-hammer it home.

Yes... it hurt. I swore a lot.... repeatedly. The pain was so intense I almost lost grip of my bacon and sausage bap (the latte was mostly a stain on the wall at this point).

The security guard (who is stationed right next to the stairs) immediately called for the Duty First Aider, smart move you may think, only, I am the duty first aider..... After I stopped screaming I switched off my First Aid pager and returned to my "screaming like a little girl" routine until a small crowd had gathered.

Luckily, there was no claret, if there had been the screaming from me would of stopped sharpish as I passed out (as a first aider I can handle other peoples blood, but not my own). I could feel my knee cap swelling by the second and I could feel the unmistakable signs of shock welling within.... cold, clammy, gray skin and a raised heartbeat. I took refuge on a nearby couch just as one of our other first aiders arrived (thanks Ann!)

It was quickly established I needed a visit to E&A pretty sharpish, there was no way I was gonna waste a busted knee cap on an ambulance so Chuckie volunteered to drive my car with Ann and myself to St. Peter's Hospital.

After lots of poking about, x-rays and a heroic dose of painkillers it was established that I hadn't broken anything and it was no more than a very nasty sprain/twisted knee and severe bruising.
In good old NHS fashion I was fitted with a tubular bandage and a shiny pair of crutches and told to naff off home for tea and sympathy.

and thats where I am now, "working from home", high as a kite on Tramadol (Hmmmmm, t-r-a-m-a-d-o-l) nursing a right knee cap the size of one arse cheek while watching daytime TV.



The killer stairs, tried to take me and my bacon & sausage bap OUT.... not forgetting my knee cap






I was never told what happened to my bacon and sausage bap. We went through a lot that day.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wicked of me to be laughing so hard at your distress! I'm a mother for goodness sake, I should be ooing and clucking over your pain. I'll put out an APB for your sausage and nap. Feel better soon, hopefully without the drugs!

petercmoore said...

Ah! Working from home. They ultimate in workplace malingering opportunities.

I should know - I do it as much as I can!

What with your hip and now your knee, you should just get a Stephen Hawking wheelchair and call it quits...

Apprentice said...

If you're going to malinger, it's always better to start it off with a big dramatic accident involving a lot of screaming, ideally in a very visible part of the workplace and involving a number of co-workers in your rescue.

Yours might accrue 3 months off (min) on full pay, and a high probability of a fat insurance pay-off. £5k?

Kudos.

Anonymous said...

Bacon butty was lovely mate -if a little squashed :o)
Can you try not to spill the coffee next time cos those Latte's are a bit nice

chux said...

I think you can drag this one out a bit without much problem. When I spoke to your lot I said a week or two before we see you next anyway. It doesn't take much more to drag that into a month!!

Hope its healing bud. Ann has been trying to get hold of you to check on your well being. She's a diamond!

All the best

jomoore said...

Yikes! I felt that! Hopefully you're not so immobilised that you can't make yourself a nice cup of tea.

Ban stairs, I reckon. Health & Safety!!

Get well soon!

meljoy said...

you just wanted pills! I still have some left over perkies. I was saving them for a rainy day, but I could have spared you a few!





I hope you feel better, but the thought of you on crutches and drugs, hahahahaha, I'm sorry. I'm dying over here...

Delmonti said...

Kat: Hmmmm I think I've found common ground here!

PT: I'd love a Stephen Hawking Wheelchair.... but only if I couldnt get a Jimmy Savill Lounge chair.

Goober: Some memories will never fade.... inspired!

Apprentice: The IBM legals were at my side just before that fat bloke off the telly who sais..."Have YOU had an accident at work in the last 3 years......" In my shocked state I think I signed a waiver or some such oddity... Oh well...

Fiestaman: I've hockle'ed on ya car

Chux: I'm already back at work, although, I'm on a training course for the next two weeks

Jo: I've been put back together and all is now ok (ish)

Mel: Where the hell have YOU been? ..... the drugs were a by-product of the fall... but very welcome.

Paul said...

cant stop laughing.. hahaha
Just some cool finds