Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Self Help

In 1882 Samuel Smiles (great surname) in his book "Self Help" declared:

"that nothing creditable can be accomplished without application and diligence, that we must not be daunted by difficulties, but conquer them by patience and perseverance, and that, above all, we must seek elevation of character"



...you would not believe it... I've just had to type this out TWICE as I accidently deleted the first post.... I think someOne, somewhere, is trying to tell me something.

It's just not a good quote without something being conquered*










*PT....please refrain from any horse chestnut related conker jokes..... and dont ask how I knew you were thinking of them, I just know these things.

6 comments:

meljoy said...

This is interesting. I'm actually in the middle of reading a self-help book called "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" by David Burns and it seems to be very informative. But on his depression scale I am a 2 out of 100,

0-5 no depression
6-10 normal but unhappy
11-25 mild depression
26-50 moderate depression
51-75 severe depression
76-100 extreme depression

so I dunno if the book is doing me any good, haha. but I enjoy reading it!

Delmonti said...

Well thats a good thing then. I think I fluctuate up and down that scale throughout the year.....

Today... I'm at DefCon 5

Defcon Status

chux said...

I have come across this book before. I'm not quite convinced you can choose to read that book and at that same time be scored as a 2? Doesn't reading by default suggest you might be having at least some negative thoughts. (what do I know eh)

Dave, that quote is quite inspiational true. I especially like the good use of language. 'Application and deligence', 'elevation of character' along with 'conquer', very edwardian or victorian terms that are never used today but are expressive and have great power and character.

petercmoore said...

I'm keeping me mouth shut. I don't want to get into trouble...

chux said...

sorry just read my last comment and realised what I jerk I was sorry

Anonymous said...

Dave

You tryin for the honourary leadership team position here or what? :o)