Friday, June 09, 2006

It must be the permissive society......

This is the bit where you get a little nervous, the bit where you know someone may get a little offended when you tell them directing may not be the thing for them....

Just as well Habeas Corpus from the Ottershaw Players was an absolute blinder for me.

I'm not a theatre go'’er, it's was never part of my growing up you see. A theatre to me was a bingo hall, full to the brim with cackling fishwives.

Anyhow, seeing as I'’ve not seen a huge amount of theatre, and the fact Pete is a good mate of mine I was a little apprehensive going along to the opening night.... I had previously seen an Amdram play about 6 months previous, I'’ll not mention what the play was or who was playing, but I did come away feeling that the "Amateur" part of Amdram had been well catered for.

So there I was, in the Rhoda McGaw Theatre, waiting to be entertained.. ... and heavens to Betsy was I entertained. It was a corker, hats of to Mr Bennett for a great play, but I do get the impression that most credit has to go to the cast and Pete'’s direction.

The best part for me was the believability of the characters, there wasn'’t one bad performance, but there were more than a few outstanding ones..
Matthew Horton did a fantastic job of Sir Percy Shorter, the twitch, the pompous attitude and not forgetting the very large chip on his diminutive shoulders was simply a joy to watch.
My other personal favourite was Lady Delia Rumpers played by Danny Sparks, she simply had me giggling like a girl as she had more than a passing resemblance to Mrs Slocombe on one of her days off, fantastic stuff.

To sum up, I had a great time. The Ottershaw Players with a little help from Alan Bennett and Peter Moore gave the gift of entertainment and laughter on a otherwise dull Wednesday night, marvellous, bloody marvellous.

Last but certainly not least, Alison Byers who plays Muriel Wicksteed.... I do hope that those are stunt boobs being thrown around so enthusiastically! It'’s the first time I've winced and laughed like a drain in ages.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo Lovey, and well done Mr PT Goober XXX

petercmoore said...

Thank you Dave. It's a wonderful review. But then, I would say that!

meljoy said...

grrr, I wish I could go :-(

chux said...

sorry I would have commented sooner but we've been having broadband trouble, its been twitching!

I was thinking about doing my own post on this but for the above reason it couldn't happen.

I'd like to say that I enjoyed this playt very much too. All seemed to make a great effort in bringing this together. Pete I take my hat off to you sir!! Six of us turned up from the gaff to support our man!!

I'd have to admit you are guaranteed a barrel of laughs when you start the booby jokes. I hope you payed those ladies stunt money for being quite so man handled.

Nice one Dave

p.s popped over to you gaff last night but the man from delimont was not there but rather a wooky without a personality!! Don't subject me to that again!