Friday, April 21, 2006

Saint George - Patron Saint of Syphillis

Hmmm, Sunday will be Saint George's Day - Patron St. Of England

Yes, thats right...... That bloke who kills dragons and saves the damsel in distress is also the bloke to seek out if you've gotton yourself a dose of the pox. In fact, it gets better, cos' the fella is also the patron St. for all skin rashes and diseases ...... including Leprosy (calling leprosy a "skin rash" does belittle it a tad, but you get the drift I expect)

Now this really IS the kind of Saint I'd want for England.... I've no idea how you go about getting a patronage for a Saint, but I think we should also include Shell Suits and Burberry as part of George's Patronage collection.

So, in honor of our great nation and it's ravenous appetite for other peoples culture I'd like to share with you what I think "being English" really is....


"Being English is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer... then traveling home and grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

And the most English thing of all?

Suspicion of anything foreign "





*and yes, I guess I am English. Does that make me proud? No not really, my pride lies in my children, and one day England will be proud of them.

9 comments:

chux said...

Mate, you started eating museli again or something? Your coming back into form as a blogger.

It'll only make you more attractive to women and it'll serve you right! ;-)

meljoy said...

Haha, now that's funny. What's belgium beer? Is that Heineken? Or wait... Hmm. I dunno. I don't drink beer, ever (liquor is quicker), but if I do. I drink Yuengling (pronounced YING-LING), drives me nuts when ppl can't say the name of my beer.

I think Chuck is telling your secrets again. he told me about your gender dysmorphia. You should really get on that, dude.

Delmonti said...

Never come across that Yuengling beer before, I'll hunt one down. To be honest, German beer is the best beer in the world..... They may be crap at world wars and Football but they certainly know a thing or two about brewing a decent pint.

Dont worry too much about what Chuckie says, he's fascinated with me, keeps trying to put his hands down my pants.

He'll grow out of it.

chux said...

you've said that putting my hands down your pants comment too often recently dude. If you want some mano et mano action you'll have to go somewhere else!
I'm a bearded clam man and nothing else. Actually I dont mind a few cockels and winkles now I think of it (no stop it)

Belgium Beer is lovely and i rate it over the Germans personally. Belgians make Stella Artios which is the best lager ever made!!check out the list of Belgian beers. http://www.belgianbeerguide.co.uk

The other thing the Belgians do well is chocolate......hmmm thorntons

Mel, you'll have to excuse the banter us boys get up to. It just shows we never grow up.

petercmoore said...

Argh! Belgian? German? Frickin' French?

Are you kidding?

That's not beer. That's LAGER!

Awful stuff. All tastes the same. And it's served so cold that you can't taste it anyway.

Give me a pint of Hullabaloo, Hobgoblin, Timmy Taylors Landlord or Spitfire, anyday.

chux said...

Look here Pete, don't knock the Stella Artois!! They don't call it wife beater for nothing you know. :-)

It's my summertime beer to be honest. And I NEVER stray from either Stella or possibly Kronenburg if i'm going to drink lager. I'd agree THE REST taste like cats pee and should be poured straight down the bog. Winter long I drink Guiness mainly, then Youngs Winter Warmers when I can get it.(if you haven't had warmers before I suggest you get some when it comes back in october)

I would imagine the latter booze types would meet more so with your approval. :-)

Delmonti said...

I'm with Pete on this one..... real ale is the way forward

Anonymous said...

Dave/Pete

You're talking rubbish sorry :o)
Chux is completely right - Stella is the best.
It's me fave and I love it so there - how can you lads be happy drinking beer that's warm? Yuk

marcuse said...

Czech beer is actually very good, especially the lagers.

Still my favourite is Belgian too - go for one of the proper Abbey beers through rather than Stella.