Friday, March 07, 2008

Are your whites as white as mine?

It's not the first time I've heard of this report. Apparently my old home town is the "whitest place in England and Wales"**

That's some claim. There were not a lot of different colours going on from what I remember.... The only black faces seen were from shift changes at the pit and "Love Thy Neighbour" on ITV. Since the early 90's and the closure of the pit that statement no longer applies......... and I'm too scared to watch Love They Neighbour just in case.....

So.... no blacks, no Irish, no Polish, no Asians, no Scottish, no Africans, no Welsh, no French, no Germans, no Inuit...... just us white, working class types..... with a fantastic Chinese Take Away.

Has being ethnically un-diverse made me a racist? Well, probably, but not in the context of your definition of a racist. Just because I can do maths and understand statistics and therefore wont go walking about in Hackney after dark dosent mean I'm racist, it simply means my god (at times) is the law of averages.




The long walk to school



** Just out of interest......... are ginger people counted in with the "whites" or "non whites"?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes I remember that walk you and me and the lovely Clarkson twins, Guitar lesson with Mr Rain class 3,them were T days. As for racist no I remember Louella a girl from the Middle Streets of Kanada she had a great voice and got a deal with Pete Waterman if my PC of a memory serves me, but no I see people for how they act not what skin, if you are an arrogant twat I'll treat you like a twat, I just cant walk on bloody eggshells can I. Thanks for the photo Dave........Goober!