Monday, September 24, 2007

A Gammy leg and a crap car

People around me know that I hate my latest company car (I know, I'm very lucky to even have a company car, but that's not the point), mostly I hate it 'cos I stupidly decided which car to have purely on economic grounds .... this meant I ended up with a Ford Fiesta 1.4 Ghia Diesel.... and what a mistake that was.

I dunno what the hell has happened to Ford, but this car is nasty. Externally, it looks like two separate cars welded together, there's no way the same designer created the rear and the front of this car. Internally its just as bad, built to a budget (a very very small one at that) and barely functional

I choose the Ghia option as I thought it would add a little comfort to a basic car.... in fact, the £1200 extra for the Ghia version added 4x Ghia badges, rain sensing wipers and a silver gear knob (and no, its not real silver)

I understand that a diesel engine can be a little more noisy, but this thing is deafening..... whenever I drive the car I have a flock of seagulls (the feathered variety and not the 80's pop band) behind me wondering when I'm gonna start ploughing.... It really is that bad.

But it is cheap to run..... it requires no oil or servicing and a tank full of chip fat will last for 400 miles.... so I guess it's done its job so far....

But now I'm getting the chance to change it.... why? cos of my gammy leg! I just happened to mention it to the fleet manager, and he/she said under the current agreement I can change the car to an automatic on medical grounds.... and as there are no affordable automatics in the pool I can go ahead and order a brand new motor (as long as its an auto).

I do know it wont be another FORD and not just because the Fiesta is a bag of arse. The main reason for not wanting another FORD is their Franchise holder Dagenham Motors.... They have to be the rudest people I've had the misfortune to deal with. A truly awful bunch of people to work with.

I'll let ya know what I get...

15 comments:

petercmoore said...

Are you gonna get one of those three-wheeled jobs with all the controls on the steering wheel? And you should definitely get one of those prime parking spaces close to the supermarket entrance...

Anonymous said...

Chrystler - I've been driving chrystler's forever. My convertible has 150,000 miles on her and has never had to have anything repaired.

Delmonti said...

PT: Oooooo, now there'san idea

Delmonti said...

Kat: Chrystler... usuall rebadged as Vauxhall in the UK but they have been using the Chrystler marque for a few years with some of the more US styled motors....

The Astra looks good but has a knackered clutch (it judders and stalls the car). The PT Cruiser is too oddball and the C300 is too expensive and looks like a pimp wagon.

Anonymous said...

Get an Audi A3 mate - brand new! There is hardly any leadtime at all - honest :-D

Anonymous said...

I know this is all new to you mate, but automatics tend not to have clutches.

Delmonti said...

The Lodger: Audi A3? Arnt they the cars only available to white middle class Englishmen?

Ian: Whoaa.... you telling me I have to steer the thing too?

jomoore said...

I am LOVING my Astra. I just am. It's been years since I enjoyed driving so much.

Though obviously it's the dodgy clutch that makes it so much fun... :o)

Delmonti said...

Jo: apprently is a "lucky dip" is ya get a dodgy clutch in the Astra.... except the 2 litre version which uses a different transmission......

This all comes from The Lodger who had one

chux said...

I like PT's thought on the 3 wheeler. But I think an electric one that you can use on the paths too, very much like the ones used by the old biddies down here. Very economical and they look fun too ....honest!

Japanese cars are the best fella, unless you are made of money, then maybe German. All auto's though are gonna be gutless unless you get a big engined jobby! Just make sure you have space in the boot for your zimmer frame!

btw u've got a headsup on my blog again!! I can't believe I do all your advertising!!

Anonymous said...

Like I said. I'll do you a good deal on a scooter. Neil.

Anonymous said...

Skoda Octavia Derv, Comfort and good on fuel Goober!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

When I read your blog about your decision not to get another Ford, I was glad that you had decided to take a stand against poor customer service and shoddy build quality. Then I heard on the grapevine that you had been out looking at cars, good I thought, you are taking the practical approach of seeing different models, sitting in them, getting a feel for the build and comfort, so at least you can make an informed decision....BUT GUESS WHAT ??

You went and ordered another FORD !!

How can I ever again have trust in the integrity of your words when you so easily backtrack ?

How can the idea of the wind blowing through what little hair remains, overpower the fact that once again you would have to deal with those Dagenham people you despise ?

I have only one feeling and I am afraid to say that it is an overwhelming sense of disappointment !

Delmonti said...

Dear Anon.....

Almost there..... but not quite... Yes, I have indeed put an order in for a new FORD. But that dosent actually mean I'm gonna get one.

I just thought I'd order a couple of Fords, let those people at Dagenham Motors run around collecting quotes, working out finance, figuring aout all the options I've added to those rather enpensive motors.....

As I said, dosent mean I'm gonna hand over a shed of cash now.... I just may for some unknown reason decide NOT to get a Ford..... right at the last minute.

Anonymous said...

Good post.