Monday, August 13, 2007

Very important kettle news

So Emily has outgrown the local park when it comes to cycling, the next step was to find somewhere she can ride without having to deal with traffic. Not a problem, I remember the Lookout in Bracknell has miles and miles of cycleways for her to play on..... only this time I'd have to join her..... on my own bicycle. That of course introduces more problems, things like, can I actually ride a bike with my gammy leg? will the bike still work (it's been at the back of the garage for about 7 years), and how the hell do I transport two bicycles in a Ford Fiesta?



Ok, problem one: Can I still ride a bike with my gammy leg?

Yes, I tested my ability by borrowing the lodgers bike (sorry bicycle, if you know my lodger then you'll also know about his stash of marriage certificates) . Surprising enough it didn't hurt at all, well the riding didn't, but getting my leg over did (oh boy, that last statement rings true in so many other situations). I found that if I almost lay the bike flat I can straddle it then lift it into position... it looks just as stupid as it sounds... but it works.

Problem two: Does my bike still work 7 years on?

Yes. The tires needed pumping up, a little WD40 in a few places and new batteries for the lights and cycle computer and it was set.

Problem three: Fitting two bikes to a Ford Fiesta

Solved by shedding out £50 on a bike rack, which to my surprise actually worked!

S0, Sunday saw Em and me in Swinley Forest attempting to circumnavigate other cyclists, walkers, walkers with buggies, runners, runners with buggies and what looked like the entire contents of Battersea Dogs Home.... also with buggies.

Anyway, we managed to dodge them all but did succumb a few times to the loose gravely surface but escaped with only slight bruises to the ego. The important part was Em loved it all, and through falling off she also gained knowledge of braking and picking out a more stable route.

Like to see some pictures? well you cant cos I forgot my camera, anyhow, it's not pretty seeing me on a bike, especially in shorts (no, not cycling shorts, there are limits.... and probably decency laws).

Instead, here's a picture of my new kettle




11 comments:

jomoore said...

The Lookout is fab - even when it's busy you seem to be able to find an empty bit. And there are just enough steep hills for fun and interesting cycling adventures.

I dragged my bike out of the cobwebs and into the bike shop to be serviced and 'good-as-new-ed', but I've still to venture out. I need the bike rack too, and with my new 'normal' car, I'm running out of excuses...

And, oh blimey, that looks like the coolest kettle ever! I want one! The pretend chrome finish on my swanky kettle is starting to peel, so I really need a new one. (Never mind that it still boils water perfectly...)

Delmonti said...

The kettle is a Tefal Quick Cup, it works a bit like a shower.... I mean you get instant hot water, it sort of boils it as it flows out... apparently it saves money. Whats even better (for geeky blokes that is) is you can program it to deliver the hot water in a measured dose at the press of a button!.... its also got a water filter built in.... marvelous.

petercmoore said...

Blimey! Look at that kettle.

Now we know what the CIA has been doing at Area 51 with all that captured alien technology...

jomoore said...

Seriously, though - does it deliver tea-quality boiling water? I'm very particular...

Delmonti said...

Tea-quality boiling water.... now then, as I'm new to tea drinking I'm not sure if I qualify to answer this... although thats never stopped me before...

I think its ok, but it may be a little cooler than my conventional kettle (now sitting in a huff in my useless-kitchen-devices-I-never-use-anymore cupboard). Having said that, it does spit out a little steam every now and again when filling the cup..... so maybe it's just me.

Anonymous said...

You are the best Dad ever! Mine was always too busy or too tired to take me biking.

Anonymous said...

"you'll also know about his stash of marriage certificates"...

Ooh you bitch!

Yes for those that don't know me , the closest I can get to as a comparison is Ross from Friends :-)

Chris said...

A couple of years ago I had this urge to take Thomas bike riding at either Windsor Great Park or The Lookout. Bought a bike rack at Halfords (to fit any car) and got Jo's bike out of the shed to have a practice, 'cos I hadn't ridden a bike for about 40 years but they do say you never forget!!

Bike rack didn't fit the car, rode the bike around the garden and fell off. Bike back in shed together with rack. Took him on outings in the card instead.

jomoore said...

I have done some research and the water doesn't come out boiling enough for tea (for us tea snobs...). Shame...

Anonymous said...

By the time Dave put on the cycle computer,Tom Tom Sat Nav and automatic pizza feeder it was time for Emily to go to bed. Dave you've been down there too long, and as for the kettle, need i say more.....

Delmonti said...

Kat: thats the nicest thing anyone has said ever..... [snif]



Anon (or should I say Goober?): you know me far too well!