Monday, April 23, 2007

Is that bone I can smell burning?

Damn my dodgy hip....

I'm at the stage where I'm attempting to help my daughter to ride a bike. She's 6 and very confident..... which is great, but you do need some basics before you take the training wheels off... like the ability to point the bike in a direction that dosent end up in a collision with either people, trees, kerbs or me. The use of "brakes" seems to be an afterthought... usually after she's hit something.

So, I've been out to the park attempting to "help".... but how? I've found it very difficult to just "let her go" or perhaps that should read "let her fall off".... I got her knee protectors, elbow protectors, hand protectors and a cycle helmet, but its still not enough to put my mind at rest. Maybe I should let her wear the gear instead of me..

Eventually my hip decided it was time I should let her go, I'm not built for jogging in any condition let alone 23 degrees of sunshine.... unless being chased by carnivorous wild animals which thankfully are few and far between within the M25 area. Actually, I'm not really built for any kind of outside hard labour, my genes lie with a life of cold underground digging. When I'm exposed to sunshine my skin turns from its natural northern blue-white shade to a very angry and burnt red colour.

Anyhow, Emily did very well, she scared herself a few times as well as a few passing joggers and dog walkers but didn't actually fall off. Best of all she enjoyed it although she didn't quite get to ride without the training wheels.... maybe next week

I had to resort to a heroic dose of combined pain killers and the walking stick came out to play again..... I just hope Em cracks riding the bike sooner rather than later as the smell of burning hip joint isn't pleasant.

Oh well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Maybe I should let her wear the gear instead of me.."
That caught me totally unaware and made me laugh for the first time in days! You're a great father Dave.

chux said...

aww i know this one mate!!

she'll just suddenly be able to do it. I couldnt run along with Harry. What I do think helped is setting small goals. Such as get her to try to ride to a marker a short distance away. it can be a crisp packet it doesnt matter, but then move it a little bit further when they get it.

The other thing is try to encourage her to look up at the goal rather than at her feet. This will help sort out the balance naturally as its worse when they look done. You know this anyway as a rider fella.

hope this helps

Delmonti said...

Kat: It's surprising, but I dont hear that "your a great father" enough. Thank you. and I hoipe I continue to make you giggle, it's these little excursions to giggletown that make it all seem worthwhile.

Chux: I've give the "goal" system a try at the weekend. He main problem at the moment is steering.... once thats cracked I'll move on!