Friday, December 01, 2006

Ganin' yairm t'tek sum pictures liek

It was a Saturday, no Em to entertain and the weather not conducive to silly lean angles so I decided to drive 300 miles to where I grew up and take some pictures. So here are a few from the small town where I grew up.....

Easington Colliery, Co Durham, UK....

This site was originally occupied by the Easington Colliery Coal Mine, when the profits were too small for the black suited boys they closed the pit. Now all that stands there is this monument to over 100 years of coal mining. It is in fact the cage used to carry the men (and equipment) up and down the south shaft... Including my father, brother and countless other relatives and friends.

The North East Coast.... From Hartlepool to Seaton Carew.

The Cage - looking south east

Seaton Carew - Beachcomber



a Beach Txt'er

Sunset @ dawn



I see no ships


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These pictures are just beautiful! My little town was founded on coal mining too, a harsh, dangerous, dirty business. I have nothing but respect for the men and, sadly, boys who slaved away in those mines.

Anonymous said...

Blast beach?

My dad used to take me fishing there. Each Friday night in the winter we would walk over the colliery railway lines to get to the beach. I used to build fires with the coal that was lying around. The last time we went was 29th July 1981 (I remember as it was Charles and Dis wedding day) and we went early in the morning. That was over 25 years ago and my dad would have been 35 - 2 years younger than I am now.

He died on the 4th of October this year. Thanks for the photos Dave, they made me feel 12 again for a little while.

Delmonti said...

Ian..... I had no idea about ya Dad. Of course he's still around, living in all those memories he left ya with. Thats how we all become immortal, through our kids.

meljoy said...

fucking awesome! You know how I am about pictures, these are soo great! My favorite one being the cage thing and the sun. very nice. awesome camera by the way...